Yes, we are told that many natural disasters, especially earthquakes, have been experienced since primary school and that the risk is high. In this way, a certain awareness is desired to be created. Both the world and our country have now focused on what precautions we should take before a natural disaster beyond the question of what we can do after a natural disaster occurs.
We also want to raise the issue of measures to be taken against natural disasters before anything happens to our users.
Earthquake safety tips
Earthquake is a subject that scares and worries everyone. Considering that we are in the Mediterranean-Alpine-Himalayan zone, which is one of the most effective fault lines, we are not considered unfair. However, time does not pass by taking any steps in this regard and living with the constant fear of earthquakes. Although the earthquake is a natural disaster that occurs outside of us, we can take measures and reduce its impact. As a precaution against earthquake:
What should we do before the earthquake?
- Items with the risk of falling over, such as lockers and libraries, should be fixed to the wall. If there is a gap in between, they should be filled with filling material to reduce the impact effect.
- Ceiling or wall hanging devices such as chandeliers and air conditioners should be hanged securely away from walls and windows to carry their weight.
- Fix the items on the bench or table with plastic or metal holders.
- An earthquake bag should be prepared, and the materials inside should be checked at regular intervals.
- Avoid heavy and tipping items on or near the bedsteads.
What should we do during the earthquake?
- If you are at home or in a closed area during an earthquake, stay away from unsecured objects and crouch next to a sturdy object and protect your head and neck with your hands.
- You should avoid lighting matches or lighter and stay away from electric switches.
- If you are outdoors during an earthquake, stay away from wall types, power lines, and trees. Protect yourself by crouching in the open field.
- If you are caught in an earthquake inside the vehicle, you can approach the right and wait for the shock to pass without risking yourself or other vehicles.
Precautions from flooding
Flood is one of the natural disasters that cause the most loss of life and property. Unplanned urbanization and rapid destruction of green areas increase the risks that may arise from the flood. It is of course possible to alleviate this and get training. Measures to be taken against flooding:
Protection ways before the flood:
- The surrounding green areas should be protected and increased.
- Terracing and afforestation should be done in areas with flood risk.
- Necessary warnings should be made through various communication channels.
Precautions during a flood:
- You should try to reach a high and safe place. But be careful not to run through the water while doing this because it can be much deeper than it seems.
- If you are in a vehicle during a flood, never try to drive forward. Try to leave the interior of the vehicle and move to a higher place.
Precautions Against Avalanche Hazard
The mass of snow that rolls over slopes and grows as it tumbles is called an avalanche. Avalanche is seen in places devoid of vegetation where there is a lot of snowfall and roughness. Unfortunately, our awareness on this issue is lower because we see less chance of encountering an avalanche event. However, against the avalanche danger:
Before the Avalanche:
- Areas with avalanche risk should be avoided as a settlement.
- The vegetation and forests on the slopes should be taken under protection.
- When it snows, news and road conditions should be followed carefully.
During the avalanche:
- Reach a safe area, taking into account the size and speed of the avalanche.
- If it is impossible to escape from an avalanche, try to stay on the surface with swimming movements by getting support from the ground.
- Close your mouth tightly and try to hold your breath against the danger of your head being under the belly.
- If you are caught in the snow flow, try to take a sitting position by combining your legs and arms with your body.
- Are you in the vehicle? Stop the engine and turn off the lights.
- If you have a flashlight with you, it may be useful to use it to see you.
Precautions Against Landslide Hazard
Landslide is the name given to large scale land and rock slides. Our country harbors the danger of landslides just like earthquakes and floods. We can protect both ourselves and our loved ones by taking various precautions beforehand so that the landslide, which is seen a lot in regions with high rainfall and slope, does not turn into a natural disaster.
Before the landslide:
- To reduce the risk of landslides, field studies should be carried out, and settlements should be avoided in areas with risk.
- Drainage channels should be opened without disturbing the natural balance on slopes with risks, and excessive water intake should be prevented.
- Retaining walls should be built on the slopes where landslides can be seen.
- Plants and ground cover should be protected.
During the landslide:
● If you are outdoors, stay away from mud and landslide currents and try to escape to higher places.
● If you do not have time to escape from the landslide current and you are in a closed area, crouch down behind sturdy items, protecting your head and neck with your hands. (Please search: The triangle of life)
As you can see, taking precautions before natural disasters occur and acting consciously while they happen saves our lives. Educating ourselves on this issue is a duty for all of us. For this reason, if you want to have more information to combat natural disasters, you can attend Basic Disaster Awareness Training provided by institutions, and you can encourage your loved ones for these pieces of training.